Hello everybody this is my again and today I am going to talk a little about my prefered operating system. Some of you may already know I am obsessed with Ubuntu. Today I am going to show you two ubuntu distributions that I like to use on VMs Xubunut and Linux mint. When I am writing this I do not know the differences so we will discover these together.

FIrst I will start with Xubuntu because I am using it much more than others.

To understand the whole aspect I think we need to go through a little history. Xubuntu was released in 2006 June 1st by Jani Monoss as part of the Ubuntu 6.06 “Dapper Drake” line, which also included Kubuntu and Edubuntu. This operating system is created like a  gateway drug. Basically it shows the good part of Linux and tries to hide the disadvantages as much as possible.

Xubuntu tries to use as few system resources as possible. It is much more effective than Ubuntu but I must say it seems on the desktop, the details and resources quality much fewer but it is a perfect choice for virtual machines. In 2006 when it was released it used 128mb ram which is unbelievable for me personally.
Just like every Linux distribution it is open source as well so there is a quite well worked community which helps the user immediately. If you have a pc which quite works but you want to create a working environment on it I recommend Xubuntu to install on it.

Let’s move on to another distribution, Linux Mint.

With my own words Linux Mint is the closest to Windows in terms of user friendly. It is also released in 2006 and it is part of open source but it also contains some free software.It is an Ubunut based system so the question is what is better in it than in Ubuntu. It has lower memory usage in Cinnamon(Mint’s Desktop environment) and the software manager claims to be faster and lighter. The design and themes are more comfortable and suitable on Linux Mint and they have Codecs, Flash etc.. as default. Lastly, itsfoss.com claims Linux Mint has more desktop choices with Long Term Support and their pre-installed Mint Apps are great.

To summarize, I would recommend Mint for those who want to use Linux but does not have experience with driver install updates and such things.

I hope you enjoyed this week's blog meeting next week.


Megjegyzések

Népszerű bejegyzések ezen a blogon